2018 Point Arena Fringe Festival Schedule of Events
Friday, April 27
- 10:00-5:00 Roots Herbal Apothecary ~ Hand-Spun Herbs & More~ Enjoy 15% off the many products made by local artisans including finely crafted jewelry, cards, and candles as well as an extensive line of organic medicinal tea blends and body products.
- 11:00-5:00 Coast Community Library ~ Chalk the Walk! ~ Sidewalk art contest. Chalk sets will be available, or bring your own. Friends of the Coast Community Library will assign sidewalk areas and organize the judging of designs. All participants will receive prizes.
- 11:00-7:00 Coast Highway Artists Collective ~ Art & Music ~ Featuring guest artists Karen Shapiro, Laurie MacAdams, Jane Reichhold, Carol Frechette and Doric Jemison Ball. Collective members will also have new pieces on exhibit. Music from The Highwaymen, 5-7, with guest flutist Leslie Dahlhoff.
- 8:00-10:00 215 Main ~ Elijah Carreiro, LIJ7, Acoustic Electronic Improv.
Saturday, April 28
11:00-4:00 Street Fair!
~~ Pop-Up Market & Gallery, Music, Dance & Performance Art, Food~~
August Valentine Clothing & Goods by Charlie B. | Emilie Alsager, Madrona Leather | Kersten Tanner, Jewelry & Clothing | Kathryn Wise, Glass Beads & Jewelry | Josiah Weatherford, Abalone Jewelry | Jo Athey, Athey’s Great Bowls of Fun | Rebecca Barnes, Jewelry | Justin York, Pottery | Oz Farm Stand | Astrid and Allan Hogle, Waffles and Baked Goods | Ana Mathis, Ono Pono Plant-Based Eatery | Paul and Marco, Pazzo Marco Gelato | Tango Dancers | Black Sugar Rose | Van Sickle, Accordion | Soap Box Poets | Pam Wheatley, Fabrics | Pam Chapman, Plant Starts | Zephyr, Hot Dogs & Jewelry | Swing Dancers
- 10:00-5:00 Roots Herbal Apothecary ~ Hand-Spun Herbs & More ~ Enjoy 15% off the many products made by local artisans including finely crafted jewelry, cards, and candles as well as an extensive line of organic medicinal tea blends and body products.
- 11:00-7:00 Coast Highway Artists Collective ~ Art & Music ~ Featuring guest artists Karen Shapiro, Laurie MacAdams, Jane Reichhold, Carol Frechette and Doric Jemison Ball. Collective members will also have new pieces on exhibit. Music from Barbara Johannes on accordion in the afternoon and Black Sugar Rose, 5-7.
- 11:00 and 2:00 Point Arena Lighthouse ~ Eric Wilder Art Exhibit and Creation Stories ~ Exhibit all day, Storytelling at 11:00 and 2:00. Noted Kashaya Pomo artist Eric Wilder will display his original art, greeting cards, clocks and other unique and unusual items. A master storyteller, Eric will also regale visitors with Pomo legends. At 11 a.m. he will tell the story “The Creation of the Ocean.” At 2 p.m. it will be “How the Sun Came Out.”
- 11:30-2:00 215 Main ~ Bob’s Smoked Chicken Lunch ~
- 12:00-2:00 Coast Community Library ~ Books and Ukes ~ Books for sale from various categories such as art, food, poetry, and more. Live ukulele music will entertain you as you search for that hidden gem.
- 12:00 and 3:00 Point Arena Lighthouse ~ “In a Different Mirror,” Poetry of Sal Martinez ~ Readings at Noon and 3:00. Sal Martinez is a proud citizen and Tribal Council Secretary of the Manchester Band of Pomo Indians of Manchester/Point Arena Rancheria. His work has been published in Memoir Magazine, Misfit Magazine and Red Indian Road West Anthology. Sal’s poetry books will be available for purchase during the event, and he will be available to talk to between his readings.
- 1:00-3:00 Soap Box Poetry ~ Borrowing a longstanding tradition from London’s Hyde Park Speaker’s Corner, Third Thursday Poetry & the Coast Community Library are hosting a Soap Box Poetry Reading in front of the Library from 1-3pm. No sign ups necessary. Bring poems, and a milk crate (we will have extras). For more information or to reserve a soapbox, contact Blake at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1:30 and 3:00 Bryan Preserve ~ Wine Hour with the Giraffes ~ Come enjoy a glass of wine in the Giraffe House and have our multi-talented Rothschild Giraffes custom paint a pair of wine glasses for you! Learn fun facts about these amazing endangered creatures from our keeper and get a training tip or two while you’re at it. Each ticket includes one glass of wine and two wine glasses for a 40-minute painting session. Offered at 1:30 and 3:00. Must be over 21 to participate. Space is limited; reserve at www.bbryanpreserve.com. $65
- 2:00-4:00 Zen House ~ The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ~ Drop by to view rare, historic and collectible motorcycles. Enjoy storewide discounts and complimentary delectable edibles!
- 7:30-10:30 Arena Theater ~ Talent on the Fringe! ~ You are cordially invited to participate in the revival of this theater’s community talent show tradition, ‘Talent on the Fringe’ celebrates and showcases the creative spirit that marks our coastal community. Fun for the whole family with performers of all ages! You bring the talent, Arena Theater supplies the stage! Advance sign-ups a must! email@example.com $20 Audience Admission
- 8:00-9:30 Point Arena Lighthouse ~ (almost) Full Pink Moon Night Tour ~ Climb to the top of the tallest lighthouse on the West Coast, illuminated by the (almost) full moon. Special presentation, champagne and sparking juices plus light snacks will be served as part of the tour. As a souvenir of this unique experience, you’ll take home an etched Point Arena Lighthouse champagne flute! For reservations, call 877-725-4448 ext. 1 or 707-882-2809 ext. 1. $30-50
- 8:00-10:00 215 Main ~ DJ Jose Ruiz ~ You are officially invited to come and see the artwork of Point Arena’s original ‘fringe’ artist, Lena Bullamore. DJ Jose Ruiz will spin Latin, Brazilian and Cuban dance music until the wee hours. Bring your dancing shoes and a friend or two!
Sunday, April 29
- 1:00-4:30 Windy Hollow Farm ~ All About Nettles ~ Join local herbalist Gillian Nye and farm educator Jennifer Ketring for an afternoon exploring the world of nettles! This prickly weed is one of the most valued herbal allies, used by herbalists around the world for centuries. They will start by wildcrafting nettles along the coast and then journey to the farm for an in-depth look at this herb including tasting tea, pesto and other nettle delights. Recipes and fresh nettles will be shared. Reserve your spot early at windyhollowfarm.com! $45
- 2:00-3:00 Oz Farm ~ Farm tour ~ Hidden in a quiet, private valley on one of the most pristine stretches of the scenic Mendocino Coast, Oz Farm is bordered by redwood forests and the Garcia River. Come enjoy a day in the life of Oz Farm with a walk through the organic agricultural fields, forest and to the river. Tour will last about one hour. Please arrive on time, bring your water bottle and durable walking shoes.
- 4:00-6:00 Pier Chowder House & Tap Room ~ Beer Bingo! ~ You are cordially invited to have a ‘real fun afternoon’ of Beer Bingo on the South Coast! Your participation fee includes beer, appetizers and of course, Beer Bingo. Come join the fun! Must be 21 and older to participate. $30
- 8:00-9:30 Point Arena Lighthouse ~ Full Pink Moon Night Tour ~ Climb to the top of the tallest lighthouse on the West Coast, illuminated by the (almost) full moon. Special presentation, champagne and sparking juices plus light snacks will be served as part of the tour. As a souvenir of this unique experience, you’ll take home an etched Point Arena Lighthouse champagne flute! For reservations, call 877-725-4448 ext. 1 or 707-882-2809 ext. 1. $30-50